Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thai Chicken Soup




Thai Chicken Soup
(Adapted from Elana’s Pantry – Thank you!!)

1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 shallots, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
28 ounces coconut milk
1 tablespoon agave
½ pound crimini mushrooms
1 head broccoli
1 can of baby corn (strained and cut in half lengthwise)
1 pound chicken breasts skinless-boneless, halved lengthwise, sliced on bias, cut into 18 inch thick pieces
2 Serrano chilies
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
3 tablespoons fish sauce

Garnish (Optional)
Minced cilantro
Scallions
Lime wedges

~ Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium heat
~ Add shallots, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, cilantro, stirring frequently until softened (about 2-5 minutes)
~ Stir in stock, coconut mil and agave and bring to a simmer
~ Pour broth through a fine mesh strainer and discard solids (shallots, cilantro and red pepper flakes)
~ Return broth to saucepan
~ Reduce heat to medium, add mushrooms and broccoli and cook until tender (2 to 3 minutes)
~ Add Serrano Chilies
~ Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink (1 to 3 minutes)
~ Combine lime juice, curry paste and fish sauce in a small bowl then stir into soup
~ Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, scallions and a lime wedge

(Elana, Thank you for letting me add this to my blog with my own adaptation of your Thai Chicken Soup. )

3 comments:

greenfrogblog said...

I'm so honored that you would think of me, Jenny! I'm going to drive over right now and knock on your window to wake you up and ask if there are any left-overs. That looks so scrumptious! (Love the garnishes, too.) Btw, that is the longest list of ingredients ever! You go. Tell me, thought, was it worth the labor? I'm drooling! -A

Supa Sparks said...

Looks delicious - you'll have to ship me some! I'm loving your presentations of the food now. Very nice touches : ) way to go!

Supa Sparks said...

One more thing,I ditto Alicia "longest list of ingredients ever!"