Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gluten Free: Pizza and Bread Stick Dough

DSC_0002

DSC_0006

DSC_0809

Let me start this post by saying I did not create this recipe (I wish I did), however I can't remember where online I found it. I thought I had it bookmarked but sadly I do not and its not 100% accurate of the original. I only wrote down the Rice Flour Mixture and kind of guessed at the rest of the directions...wooops, but it turned out great, I promise!! I tend to find recipes and re-create them.

Tonight I made a gluten free spinach and mushroom pizza which was wicked good! I don't eat pizza much because to me its more of a snack food than a real meal. I have to have a salad or something with it for it to be a meal.

Pizza or Bread stick Dough

1.5 cups of Brown Rice Flour Blend (see recipe below)

1 teaspoon Xantham Gum

1/2 teaspoon Salt

2 Teaspoons Sugar

2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning

1.5 Teaspoons Garlic Powder

1 Packet of Quick Rise Yeast (or one Tablespoon Yeast)

1 Teaspoon Olive Oil

3/4 Cup plus one Tablespoon Water at 110 Degrees

In a stand mixer add all of the dry ingredients including the Yeast. Heat water and olive oil to 110 Degrees and add to dry ingredients. Mix on low until combined and then on high for two minutes

For Bread Sticks:

Add a little bit of oil to a zip lock bag and scoop dough into bag. Cut a small hole (not too big) in the corner of the bag and pipe out bread sticks (you should have about 8 bread sticks) on to either parchment paper or a silplat sheet. Cover with lightly sprayed plastic wrap in a warm place for 45 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. For Garlic bread sticks - at the very end brush with melted butter or oil and a little bit of garlic.

For Pizza:

Scoop the dough onto a silplat sheet and spread out with lightly oiled hands (the dough is going to be sticky....let rise and reshape a bit). Cover with lightly sprayed plastic wrap in a warm place for 45 minutes. Once dough has finish rising a bit reshape into a medium - large pizza. Heat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. Take out and add sauce and toppings. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.

Brown Rice Flour Blend

2 Cups Brown Rice

2/3 Cup Potato Starch

1/3 Cup Tapioca Flour

Blend well!  Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator.

No comments: