Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lemon Squares



Last weekend I went to a farm stand in Moss Landing and bought tons of awesome fruits and veggies. I also picked up some huge Meyer Lemons. I have been pretty much bed ridden this past week due to my back and was trying to think of a way to use these before they went bad. When life gives you lemons, make .... lemons squares!

Now, to find or create a gluten free lemon square recipe. Hmmmm. I did some searching online and couldn't find one I wanted to try. I looked at my flour supply and realized I'm a bit low on all that they are requiring anyway. Not a good start to my plan of making lemon squares.

I had a package of Bob's Red Mill - All Purpose Flour, and an old Betty Crocker Cookbook. I found a recipe for lemon squares and decided to just adapt that recipe with the flour I had on had. Nothing fancy or anything. I have to say they turned out pretty darn good!

Gluten Free Lemon Squares

1 cup of Bob's Red Mill - All Purpose Baking Flour

1/2 cup of butter, softened

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon Xantham gum

3 teaspoons of lemon zest

3 table spoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

Powdered Sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, butter, powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. Press in un-greased square pan (I lined mine with parchment paper), 8x8x2. building up 1/2 inch on the sides.

Bake the crust for 20 minutes. While the crust is baking, mix the remaining ingredients in an electric stand mixer on high speed for three minutes until light and fluffy. Pour over the hot crust.

Bake an additional 30 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in the center. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.

3 comments:

Deidre said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Gina Lomus said...

I tried your recipe and loved it so much that I've forwarded your blog site to my family and all of my friends. Since I live in remote cold weather country I didn't have the Meyer lemons that you mentioned. For those of your readers who do not have easy access to Meyer lemons I was lucky enough to stumble on (http://www.buy-lemons-online.com/ ) which not only has Meyer lemons from California but also has "music for lemon lovers" which I got a kick out of. You can listen to clips of songs like "Lemon Tree" by Peter, Paul and Mary. Oh, nostalgia.
Anyway, thanks again for your great recipes.
Gina

Jenny Manseau said...

Gina,

I'm glad you enjoyed them!! You can use any type of lemon, I just so happened to have the Meyer ones from the farmers market. Thanks for your comments and passing the site along! - Jenny