Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sweet Baby Ray's (review)



Back East we have "cook outs" where you cook outside on a grill, usually some steaks, BBQ chicken, veggies etc.  However, when I moved to California people call cook outs BBQ's, which I found a little confusing.  I was invited to my first BBQ thinking "oh, nice we are going to have some BBQ pork or chicken".  No, there was NO BBQ sauce to be found anywhere.  Cooking on a grill (or as they call it here, a BBQ) was what they were talking about all along.  Needless to say I was a bit disappointing and still haven't gotten over the difference from one coast to another.  In my mind to have a BBQ - you must have BBQ sauce!! (I know I'm not alone on this, but people here think I'm crazy)

Since moving here and being to many BBQ's with out BBQ sauce I realized a few months ago, that I haven't had BBQ sauce in years!!  Bryan is always raving about this one brand, his all time favorite to be exact - Sweet Baby Ray's.  I said well if its gluten free, lets try it. I read the back of the package and I didn't see anything containing gluten/wheat so I went online and sure enough its gluten free!! Its a good thing that it is, because I don't think he can live with out it, and he is very excited that I can eat it.  Here is what it says on their website:










Allergen







Is the product gluten-free?

All products except for the meatballs with sauce are gluten free.  Always read labels closely for ingredients before consuming.

This stuff is AMAZING.  Such a great flavor, not too over powering but the perfect balance of tangy sweetness.  Its thick and has a little bit of a kick to it.  I've only tried the original one but they have several other flavors: Honey, Hickory & Brown Sugar, Ray's Hot 'N Spicy and Sweet Vidalia Onion. Probably one of the best sauces I have had.  You can pretty much find this everywhere so if you haven't tried it yet you should.  It's almost summer time lots of grills will be heating up waiting for some BBQ chicken!! I don't we'll ever have another kind of BBQ sauce in our house.

I don't own a grill right now (and hopefully we'll be able to get one when we move to Rhode Island) so tonight I'm baking some chicken drumsticks that have been brushed with Sweet Baby Ray's and when they are just about finished I'll pop them under the broiler for just a little bit to get that char on them.  Then of course I'll be dipping the meat in the sauce :) Tonight's meal will be some steamed broccoli, Sweet Baby Rays Chicken and a tomato and cucumber salad.  Light and tasty.

No comments: