Friday, October 23, 2009

Green Bean Salad w/ Lemon Rosemary Mini-Muffins

gf2564

I'm trying to eat a little healthier.  Trying to be good about not eating rice or potatoes with every meal.  Cutting back on some of the more starchy foods and eating more fruits, vegetables and nuts in my diet.  I even bought a few bags of nuts and some dried fruit to make my own trail mix instead of going for the sweets when I want to much on something.  My weakness is peanut butter cups and snickers...and this time of year with Halloween right around the corner they are on sale, I'm fighting the urge to buy some.

I've been on a salad kick this past week, I can't seem to get enough of them.  I had a nice hearty salad for dinner last night and another one for lunch today and why stop here....I had one again tonight for dinner!  No lettuce in this one though, just some veggies and cheese.

Green Bean Salad

1 pound of green beans

5 mushroom caps (white button, crimini, what ever you have on hand) sliced

1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted

1/3 cup of grape tomatoes, cut in half

1/2 inch of goat cheese log, crumbled

1/4 cup olive oil

1/8 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1 garlic clove minced

Boil green beans and mushrooms until tender, about 4-5 minutes in lightly salted water.  While the green beans are cooking, slice the tomatoes and crumble the goat cheese.  Toast the pine nuts in a small sautee pan, until they are lightly browned and fragrant. When green beans and mushrooms are done, drain and run under cold water

In a medium bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper until well combined.  Add the green beans, mushrooms, tomatoes and pine nuts.  Mix well and top with crumbled goat cheese.

I served these along side Elana's Pantry's Lemon Rosemary Mini-Muffins!  Such a great combination.  These little muffins are awesome, give them a try some time.

No comments: